Eating Out when staying at Abercelyn Country House
It is recommend that you book in advance, particularly for bank holiday periods, or if there is a major event taking place locally - note that some establishments may be closed in the winter and take last orders for food 8.30-9pm.
In Bala (15 minutes on foot, or no time by car):
- Bala Spice Restaurant, 81-83 High St., Bala, LL23 7AE; Tel: 01678-521 935
- Plas-yn-Dre (Mansion House) Restaurant, 23 High St., Bala; Tel: 01678-521 256
- White Lion Hotel Restaurant or bar-menu, High St., Bala; Tel: 01678 520314
- Y Cafnod, Bala High Street
- Plas-yn-Dre Restaurant (see above) has a children’s menu
- White Lion Hotel Restaurant (see above) has a children’s menu
- Eagles Inn (see below) has a children's menu
- Plas-yn-Dre Restaurant (see above)
- Bryntirion Inn (in the bar) (see below)
- Eagles Inn (in the bar) (see below)
Inns (within 10 minutes drive):
- Bryntirion Inn: Pub near Llandderfel, Tel: 01678-530205. Dogs are allowed in the bar
- Eagles Inn: Pub in Llanuwchllyn, Tel: 01678-540 278.
Llanelltyd (near Dolgellau, 30 minutes by car)
- Mawddach Restaurant: Family run restaurant Tel: 01341-421752 (Llanelltyd on the Barmouth road, 30 minutes by car), stunning barn with views of the Mawddach estuary; featuring fresh, locally sourced, seasonal produce from own & local farms
Dolgellau and nearby (25 minutes by car):
- Dylanwad Da: Wine Bar and Café, Porth Marchnad, Dolgellau, LL40 1ET, Tel: 01341 422 870.
- Meirionnydd: Cellar restaurant, Smithfield Square, Dolgellau, Tel: 01341 422 554, 17th Century cellar with granite walls and floor of huge slate slabs, formerly the county jail house.
Llangollen (30 minutes by car) has several good, informal places to eat:
- Gales Wine & Food Bar:18 Bridge Street, Llangollen, Tel: 01978 860 089
- The Corn Mill: Restaurant overlooking the River Dee with excellent views of the Town Falls (upstream from the bridge), Dee Lane, Llangollen, Tel: 01978 869 555.
For that special occasion (reservation essential):
- Palé Hall Country House Hotel a grand historic house with a fine dining restaurant – open to non-residents – created in association with Michelin-star chef Michael Caines; Llandderfel (15 minutes by car) Tel: 01678 530 285.
- Tyddyn Llan Restaurant Michelin * & Egon Ronay ** top 25 restaurants in the UK, Llandrillo (15 minutes by car) Tel: 01490 440 264;
- Hotel Portmeirion Two AA Rosettes; near Penrhyndeudraeth (35 minutes by car) Tel: 01766 772 440;
- Bistro Bermo, Barmouth (Tel: 01341 281 284)
- Bistro Betws-y-Coed, Betws-y-Coed (Tel: 01690 710328)
- The Plas Restaurant, High Street, Harlech (Tel: 01766 780204)
- Castle Cottage Restaurant, Harlech (Tel: 01766 780 479)
- Brigands Inn, Mallwyd, near Dinas Mawddwy (Tel: 01650-511 999)
- On the Hill, Ruthin (Tel: 01824 707736)
plus many others not listed here........